Tuesday, September 19, 2006

The Roach Motel, Little Rock, AK

This morning in our Super 8 Motel outside of Little Rock, Arkansas, we found our second roach, climbing along the ceiling over the sink. The first had been crawling under the light switch in the bathroom. It's been a really long time since I've seen a cockroach. Now I'll just have to be super-obsessive about cleaning.

We left at 11am, after being harassed by some woman asking when we were leaving, and being annoyed when I pointed out it was only a quarter to 11. We pretty much drove straight through to Austin, besides stopping to go to the bathroom and get gas, because we had to get to the hostel in time to check in. I saw an awesome outlet mall (premium outlets, are those different from not-premium ones?) on the way down I-35, about an hour outside of Austin. Key. They have a Restoration Hardware outlet there.

By the time we got to the hostel it was about 9pm central time (ew), and we checked in, brought our stuff in from the car, and then went out to try to find somewhere to eat. We drove to the South Congress (SoCo) area which is supposed to be like the "hip" area, kind of like, maybe like the village or something in the city. But I guess since it was Sunday or too late, there was nothing open. It's just a few blocks of one street and we didn't see too many restaurants. We decided on Magnolia Cafe, a kind of hippy-ish dinery place, with sandwiches and pasta and breakfast all day. All the waiters had locks and dyed hair and tattoos. The most exciting thing was that it's open 24-hours. It's always so important to find the 24-hour places.

After dinner, we went back to the hostel to go to sleep, but since lights-out is at 11:00, our room was so completely pitch-black like you've never even seen, or I guess not seen. We just had to stumble around in the dark, and both Andrea and I are sleeping on the tops of bunk beds. Not too fun. The hostel is fine, but I'm really looking forward to having my own space with my own bed and room and bedding (we're not allowed to use our own bedding at this hostel).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

WTF, i don't even know where to start.

OK, yes i do- #1 You turned your back on New York and all it's wonderfullness and me, and G-D. On this day of holiness you probably ate bacon............i'm truly stunned, and incoherent, which times into the stunned.